Panorama background images

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Sun Sep 12 18:09:48 BST 2010

On Saturday 11 September 2010 23:13:51 Duncan wrote:

Hi Duncan,

> Are you talking multiple monitors, or multiple (virtual) desktops, all
> on the same( set of)? monitors?

In general I only use one output; either my laptop's LCD or at work a
bigger LCD connected to my laptop.

> Because you mention four desktops, but I'm wondering if you don't mean
> multiple monitors, instead.

No, only one, but not always the same.

> One way to do it, regardless of which one you meant above, would be to
> take an image editing program and split the big image into fourths,
> saving each under a new name (so the original image isn't destroyed
> and to keep them separate), and loading them into the activity
> corresponding to each desktop (this assumes you have that option
> enabled, I don't) as you normally would, in the appropriate order.

Yeah, that's a workaround, but it's not so important to me, so I'd
prefer a solution with less effort. ;-)

> If you're talking multiple monitors, it /may/ also be possible to
> setup a single activity covering all monitors, depending on whether
> the xinerama support was compiled in when kde was built, and on kde's
> multiple monitor support settings.  However, I've never actually tried
> building kde without xinerama support here so I'm unsure of how it
> behaves then.  I /expect/ that it'd configure multiple monitors as a
> single big display, disabling all the multi-monitor support for window
> placement, maximizing, etc, but it's also possible it would limit
> itself to a single monitor.

Without Xinerama, you loose the ability to maximize to one monitor
resolution and things like that.  That's much more important to me than
a nice background image.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Bye,
Tassilo