KDE4 desktop or panel shortcuts

phanisvara das phani00 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 17:36:14 BST 2010

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 08:32:47 pm Gere Kiss Zsolt wrote:
> ...I just did not figure out how to select icons
> for my links. I tried their context menu actions, their Properties, but
> could not find any 'icon file' property.

"properties" is the right direction. after propt. opens, you're in the "general"
tab. on the left you see the icon that's presently displayed for the shortcut.
just click on that icon, and you'll see... :)

> You can also make shortcuts by opening Kicker, then selecting an
> application, and on a right-click you'll get a context menu, with 'Add to
> Desktop | Add to Panel' menupoints (thanks, Anne!).
>
> This will port also the
> graphical icon, but I still don't know how to change/find it...:(  Also,
> when added to the panel, can it be moved there? It seems that no.

don't think so either.

> Apropos: how can I add an application to Kicker? Can I navigate with Kicker
> - or some other launching app. e.g. Lancelot - in the file system, to find
> an app?

in kicker you don't only see your 'favorites,' but on the bottom there is a row of
tabs. what you're looking for should be under "applications." in there you can
navigate until you find your app., then do the right-click thing.

> Finally, I am sorry, but I don't know what is a UserBase (?). I found the
> instructions in the great 'KDE Help Center' (khelpcenter), which seems to
> be the official help point on KDE. Unfortunately it does not help too
> much. The only useful thing I found there was the pointer to this list;)

i think (from messages in mailing lists, etc.) that openSUSE wiki
<http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Wiki> is supposed to be the future "userbase." it's
under construction at the moment, and not  in a very advanced stage, at least re.
content.

to get information & help, i'd recommend:

1. google. often useful with "site:opensuse.org" as start of the search query,
limiting results to everything under opensuse.org. there are many good articles,
but i couldn't say exactly where w/o searching. (i hope the wiki will make that
easier in the future.)

2. forums & mailing lists:
<http://lists.opensuse.org/> (list of lists)
etc.)