Desktop effects with intel 945

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Oct 27 10:53:07 BST 2010

David posted on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:36:19 +0200 as excerpted:

> Thank you very much for your thorough reply, Duncan. I am writing now in
> plain text only, but last time I did not consciously send the HTML
> version, it is gmail's default: actually in the XXI century :-) , most
> email clients can understand the double plain text-HTML posting, and can
> hide the HTML if necessary :-)

Thanks.  The problem for clients that don't parse HTML (for security,
philosophical or other reasons... FWIW I consider both valid, and I could
write perhaps a hundred line post on the subject, but I won't) is that
while the dual-format is traditional, and it'd be simple enough to simply
post the HTML version only when it's the only one, unfortunately, /some/
clients post the real message in the HTML part, but only a dummy message
in the plain text part.  Thus, when clients set to plain text (or that
only parse plain text to begin with) choose to show only the plain text
part unless the HTML part is the only one there, sometimes that means
they're only showing the dummy.  So implementations must choose between
showing both, with the ugliness that entails, or potentially only showing
a dummy part if they only show the plain text part.

But it's reasonably well known that google defaults to HTML mail,
unfortunately... and a lot of folks don't realize the problem until
they're asked... I /do/ try to make it a reasonable request, and generally
do my best to answer the question (as you saw) while I'm at it.

> Well, I think desktop effects are still important, not only for
> eye-candy, but also for productivity: the preview of minimized windows,
> the preview when switching with Alt+Tab, the "Exposé", etc.

Absolutely agreed.  FWIW, window translucency can be useful at times as
well.

> Therefore
> (and I am aware this is not the best question to ask in this list),
> while the problems of kwin in the Intel card persist, do you recommend
> me to use Ubuntu (with gnome, I mean)? *Does compiz suffer from the same
> problems?*

I don't mind you asking at all.  But while I use a couple GTK apps (firefox
and pan, which use on this list, BTW, reading it and replying thru
gmane.org's list2news interface), I don't have Gnome on the system, only
gtk+.  (Gentoo, compiled from sources, so every extra app or dependency I
don't particularly need is a lot of avoidable work to keep upgraded... in
this way Gentoo encourages the good security practice of not having
installed what one isn't actually going to use that much.) As such, my
Gnome knowledge is all either real old (Gnome 1) or second hand -- but I
spend quite a bit of time keeping up with developments in the FLOSS
communtiy, and just as I happened to have read the info on the kwin/opengl
functionality controversy, so I happen to have read enough to I believe
answer this reasonably.

If you look again, I said it's specific effects that have the issue, *NOT*
all effects.  Turn those off (and possibly turn on others in their place),
and it should work reasonably well.  That means going thru the list of
each individual effect, toggling it off, and seeing if that helps the
speed, etc. If it does, leave it off, and perhaps try a different effect
(there's several different window close effects to choose from, for
instance, explode, fall apart, fade out, etc).  Once you get a set that
both works on your hardware and contains the functionality you need...
you're set.

This is all in kcontrol/systemsettings (the kde3 name, kcontrol, was more
accurate, as it's NOT in general system settings, but rather, both user
and kde specific settings... at least as shipped by KDE, some
distributions add some other modules and there's a couple exceptions, like
date & time, that can be set globally if kde is configured to allow it),
workspace appearance and behavior, desktop effects.  The all effects tab
is where each individual effect can be toggled.

I also mentioned setting the speed (fade effects, etc), from normal, to
very fast or even to instant.  That's on the general (first) tab.

As for starting with effects disabled, yes, that's a bit irritating, but
there's a hotkey that can be used to toggle them.  It's alt-shift-F12 by
default, but I remapped it to meta-s here.  (Meta aka winkey, I remapped
most kwin functions to winkey shortcuts, windows functions, windows key...
easier to remember than arbitrary function keys...)  Once you either
change the hotkey to something you can remember, or memorize the default
one, it's easy enough to toggle effects back on as about the first thing
you do once you login.

However, if you want, you /can/ actually switch to compiz for KDE's window
manager instead of kwin.  You lose all the special stuff kwin does, of
course -- the special window and applications settings (aka window rules,
in kcontrol) are kwin, of course, so if you use a different window
manager, any special window rules you setup under kde no longer work.  But
I suspect compiz has its own special window rules setup, tho I don't know
as I've never used it.

Also, there some sort of kde specific compiz config applet available, I've
read, as well, tho again, I've been happy enough with kwin to have never
needed to use it so I don't know the details.  I do know for sure that
there's a number of kde/compiz specific styles, or whatever they're
called, available on kdelook, as I've come across them while looking for
other stuff.

So it is indeed quite possible to run compiz as the window manager for kde,
with enough people doing it that not only is there a specific confi applet
for it, but there's kde/compiz specific color schemes/styles/whatever.
=:^)  If you're considering that, I'd ask in the kubuntu forums (I don't
know what the kubuntu package status for the config applet might be, or
even what it's named), and also check kdelook.

Meanwhile, to answer the question about compiz directly, compiz implements
things differently, actually using assembly code in some case, instead of
calling opengl to do the work.  And they went thru some of this same stuff
earlier and now work much closer with the xorg driver folks, while the
kwin people are just starting to get into it and haven't developed that
close working relationship with the xorg folks yet.  So yes, compiz should
work reasonably well, and in fact, I believe it's working rather better
for these Intel devices right now than kwin.

> [...]

> Sorry if you found the gnome's questions unsuitable for this list.

As I said, absolutely no problem with it from my perspective.  The only
problem might be that people answering here aren't likely to know the
gnome specific details, but I do believe the info I'm posting to be valid,
it's just that I /don't/ know the details.

> PS: For convenience, can you please Cc any replies to me?

Yes, tho there's a particular bug in that functionality right now (in the
interplay between pan and kde/kmail, the bug is actually in kde's mailto:
functionality), so I sort of have to do it round about. (I post to the
list then copy that when I get it back from the list, in an email to
you... if it takes a bit for the list to post it back to me... I could
possibly forget to copy it back to your email.)