plasma-desktop crashes but "strace plasma-desktop" works

Werner wfr1 at arcor.de
Fri Nov 19 11:08:42 GMT 2010

Hello,

because problems on kdenlive I moved in my 32bit system KDE4 from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3/
back to
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3/
using 'zypper dup' and 'zypper up'.

Since this 'plasma-desktop' crashes when the PC starts
and whenever I execute "plasma-desktop" (out messages below).
But when I execute "strace plasma-desktop" it works fine.

The PC is a dual boot system. The first OS is a 32Bit 11.3 opensuse
and the second OS is a 64bit 11.3 opensuse.
On the 64bit OS plasma-desktop works fine.
On both systems I use now the same KDE4 repositories
.../KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3

On both systems I use the same user with the same ~/.kde4.
Rename of ~/.kde4 does not helps and also removing
.../socket-obelix/kdeinit4__0 have no impact.

What is differend when I start plasma with "stace" ?
What can I do to find out the problem ?

Thanks for hints.
Werner
Output from "plasma-desktop":

(werner obelix tcsh) [46] plasma-desktop
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0
ERROR from solid predicate parser: syntax error
ERROR from solid predicate parser: syntax error
ERROR from solid predicate parser: syntax error
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_36_ hasn't been detected!
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0
QWidget::setMinimumSize: (/Plasma::Dialog) Negative sizes (-1,-1) are
not possible
QWidget::setMinimumSize: (/Plasma::Dialog) Negative sizes (-1,-1) are
not possible
Couldn't find node center. Skipping rendering.
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasma-desktop from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/werner/.kde4/socket-obelix/kdeinit4__0
<unknown program name>(5693)/: Communication problem with
"plasma-desktop" , it probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The
name org.kde.plasma-desktop was not provided by any .service files" "

(werner obelix tcsh) [47] KCrash: Application 'plasma-desktop' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/werner/.kde4/socket-obelix/kdeinit4__0