Howto put a "submenu" on the Panel in KDE4

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 2 08:38:09 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 01 November 2009 14:58:54 Dan Johansson wrote:
>> In KDE3 I was having some of the sub-menus from the "Application Menu"
>>  direct accessible from the Panel. I can not figure out how to do this in
>>  KDE4. I can only add the complete Application Menu" to the Panel but not a
>>  sub-menu. Any tips on how to solve this?
>>
> Try using the Lancelot launcher menu in place of kickoff (there's nothing to
> stop you having both until you see what works best for you).  Then read
> http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ#Add_a_launch_menu_to_the_panel

Looking forward to a KickOff Part.

> That should do what you want.

I am having issues with that.  I think this is a bug, but perhaps
someone knows what the problem is.

I added Lancelot to my desktop.  First issue.  I have:

	X clipboard
	X magnifier

in my favorites.  In KickOff, they have the correct icons.  However,
with Lancelot, they have the gear icon (application-x-executable).

Second, They work fine with KickOff.  However, they do not work with
Lancelot.  Instead of opening the application, what opens is KWrite (my
default editor) with a blank document.  Either "xclipboard.desktop" or
"xmag.desktop".

Third, I tried to drag the sub-subdirectory:

	Utilities -> XUtilities

to the panel.  As soon as I get to the Panel, the mouse pointer changes
to the (\) and it will not add to the Panel.  So, I tried adding it to
the desktop.  That worked correctly.

Forth, now that I have the XUtilities sub-subdirectory on the desktop, I
find that it doesn't work.  When I click a menu item, KWrite opens with
a blank 'desktop' document as stated above.

In a probably related issue, I tried dragging the two menu entries "X
Clipboard" & "X Magnifier" from KickOff to my Panel.  The items are
added to the Panel.  However, they have the gear icon and open KWrite
and a blank 'desktop' document rather than the application as with Lancelot.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch