regarding keyboard shortcuts

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Mar 22 11:53:45 GMT 2009

Chuck Robey wrote:

> I seem to be having a couple of problems in trying to get keyboard shortcuts
> that I had under KDE3.5 working under KDE4.2.  I will give you the one that
> bothering me the most, today.
>
> It's the use of the 2, 4, 6, and 8 keys on the numeric keypad (the ones which
> have the arrows on them).  They were announced under the old regime as KP2, KP4,
> KP6, and KP8, but in my latest, it seems to be naming the keys indentically to
> the small application -cursor keys to the immediate left of the numeric keypad
> (I don't know the name of that little 4 key area), so they're announced as "up",
> "down", "left", and "right", and it won't let me use those numeric keypad keys.
>  Since the name is the same, I can't seem to grab those arrow keys in the
> numeric keypad, at all.  I wish to switch up, down, left, and right for
> desktops, considering that I run 9 in a 3x3 physical matrix.

This is odd.  I suspect that the problem might be in Qt.  However, you
should check to see that X11 is doing this correctly.  In a Konsole,
execute:

	xev

and then put the mouse cursor in the little window that opens.  Now when
you type, it will report the X events in the Konsole window.  I tried it
and it reports the key pad key events with the "KP_" prefix.  If this
works on yours, then it is probably a Qt bug.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch