kdeprint in kde 4

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Mar 4 01:46:10 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 11:29:44 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Rick Miles wrote:
> > There are some programs that need to be told where to print. In kde 3.X
> > it was kprinter so for example when I want to print a document being
> > viewed with xpdf, when asked to enter a printer, I would enter kprinter
> > and the kprinter window would come up and I could select a printer and
> > options. It seems this is not the case in kde 4.X
> >

> > At http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDEPrint/KDE4#CUPS_Support iI found
> > this:
> >

> > "KDEPrint has been removed from kdelibs and kdecore for the 4.0 release.
> > All applications have been ported to use Qt's printing functions instead"
>
> Not the smartest design decision of 2008. :-)
I get the impression allot of things were expendible for the sake of competitive
eye candy.  I used both kooka and kpdf all the time and they're down the third
tube on the left also.  I'll grant there are some welcome improvements under the
hood but what about useability? Seems they left arts in, probably a trade off,
arts or kdeprint which one should we keep.

That's probably not fair but I couldn't help myself

> > Kdeprint is being rewritten
>
> I don't think so.  Would you like to volunteer?  I would help.
I can work my way around it, if I had the time and expertise there are other aps
I'd port first.

> > to but for now what is the alternative command?
>
> Are the printers listed in: "/etc/printcap"?  If so they should be
> listed in the list widget to the right of: "Name:".

My printers are networked

> If the printers aren't listed there, open the CUPS HTML page and check
> your configuration.
 Acroread works well enough but IMHO as good as kpdf used to work for previwing
.pdfs. Seems kpdf would render with the fonts I used. Acroread does not weem to do
this. Once I have the .pdf looking the way I want and previewed in xpdf which
seems to gives me a truer rendering of the document I can just print with the
folowing command noting that "colour is the name of the networked printer and XX
the number of copies to print.

lp-cups -d colour -n XX flyer1.pdf

I could make up a scriptusing kdialog for doing this for others uncomfortable on
the command line but its not necessary here.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Pungenday, the 63rd of Chaos, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au