kdeprinter?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 30 13:33:47 BST 2009

Roland Wolters <roland.wolters at credativ.de> posted
200907301305.58639.roland.wolters at credativ.de, excerpted below, on  Thu,
30 Jul 2009 13:05:53 +0200:

> I recently realized that the binary kdeprinter ist missing in KDE 4.
> kdeprinter was however used by quite some users in various scripts and
> also for examlpe to "kdeify" some non-kde apps.
>
> Is there any chance tha kdeprinter will come back? Is there anyone
> working on it?
>
> To repeat: this is not about the printing dialog in KDE apps, it is
> about the binary kdeprinter which could be called by other programs.

kde4 printing is definitely a known issue, as there's a regular here
(Dotan, I think, or was it James? Dotan I think) with that issue as his
biggest issue with kde4.

I'm not sure of the current development status (Dotan hopefully knows
more and should reply a bit later), but based on the Gentoo kde-testing
overlay notes, the kde printing config module still exists upstream (from
Gentoo, so KDE), but isn't in a working state at present.  I don't have
printer here ATM, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

The workaround I've seen suggested for configuration at least, is to use
the CUPS configuration setup (web interface, maybe??  I used it once
years ago, then switched to the kde3 version as simpler, then got rid of
the printer, and haven't had to worry about it since) for configuring the
printer.

Presumably they'd resurrect the kdeprinter stub you mention, when they
get the kde printer configuration widget back in working order.  But I
don't know that for sure, I'm simply assuming.

For more detail, wait for Dotan's post, or check the list archives for
the last couple months.  It looks like the last thread on it was
"Advanced printing in KDE4", back on Monday, initial poster Anne Wilson,
mentioning a blog.  Here's the link that post included (watch the wrap):

http://www.layt.net/john/blog/odysseus/printing_advanced_page_ranges_in_qt_part_2

FWIW, it seems some of the issues are qt related.  As that's not an issue
for me ATM, however, I've not read closely enough to sort it all out, but
there's the link, if you wish to try to, and hopefully Dotan will fill in
a bit more detail when he sees the new thread.