Wireless Internet

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 18 19:50:37 BST 2009

On Saturday 18 Jul 2009 19:31:17 Steve Brettell wrote:
> I am running Jaunty Jackalope on a Toshiba Laptop.  In Gnome, I have
> no problem hooking up to my wireless network.  In KDE, I can't hook up
> no matter what I try.  Wired works just fine, but the inconvenience is
> causing me to not use KDE.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution to this?  I would like to use wireless,
> and I would like it to work as seamlessly as in Gnome.

One of the problems is that each distro seems to have its own preference for
dealing with wireless networking.  I don't know Ubuntu at all, but tools that
I know for sure work well in a KDE environment are NetworkManager and wicd.

I did have some problems when I tried to run with static IP, but now I use the
router to reserve an IP for my laptop and use dhcp.  I have this laptop and a
netbook both using wireless without problems.

Anne