Is there a way to get a kde3 color scheme into kde4?

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Jul 16 12:43:59 BST 2009

On Wednesday 15 July 2009 11:01:27 pm Duncan wrote:
> I have a kde3 color scheme I'm very happy with after having fine tuned it
> over the years.  Is there a way to get it into kde4?  The color scheme
> doesn't seem to make the trip.
>
> In general I like reasonably dark backgrounds, reasonably light text, and
> something with WAY more color than many of the washed out "Feeling rather
> gray today, aren't we?" schemes that seem to be the general and common
> defaults.  There's a few schemes that are "okay" on kdelook, but nothing
> matching the finely tuned over many years prefs I have on kde3, and I'd
> REALLY hate to have to hand retune it, so I need some way to get kde4
> using kde3's color scheme.  Hopefully there is one, and I simply missed
> it.

I've been away, for what its worth I posted this to the list a week or so ago but
it was a follow uyp on an earlier post with perhaps a less related subject. "
transparent panel and KDM colour"

I'm inclined to hack out a text configuration if it gets me what I want and did so
here as described in the aforementioned post as follows....

I just to follow up on the second part of my question at the beginning of this
thread with regards to "doing up my own colour in case someone googles into this
thread looking for a similar solution.

The correct name is color-scheme and they are found
in /usr/share/apps/color-schemes (on kde4 on Slackware). Thses are text files
listing colors as RGB colors for the various  display aspects of a window. The
format is different from the way it was done in kde3 so I couldn't just copy over
the one I wanted from kde3.

I had used Dark Blue for KDM popup and wanted to continue doing so with kde4. In
order to do this I renamed an existing kde4 color-scheme and started editing to
suit using kcolorpicker to help sort out the RGB numbers. I didn't have to change
much except the background and forground colors under the various headings as KDM
is a fairly simple interface and I probably won't use this custom color (scheme)
for anything else.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Boomtime, the 51st of Confusion, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au