Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Dec 10 19:28:26 GMT 2009

Lydia Pintscher posted on Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:24:53 +0100 as excerpted:

>> One person yes. A group no. A group can accomplish a great deal. Look
>> at Ardour or Rosegarden or the Gimp or K3b. One man couldn't write and
>> maintain those. A group does and can.  All of them arose from
>> dissatisfaction with what existed out there at the time. There is a
>> great deal of dissatisfaction with KDE 4. Thus a fertile bed for a
>> split. Depends on whether the right people get involved or not.
>
> You have a completely wrong idea about how many people are working on
> K3B.

I was going to point that out too... but then remembered that after all,
k3b is a kde app, using kde services, etc.  The modular nature of kde
makes it possible to do what k3b does with only a single coder... except
because it's built on kde, it's really /not/ a single coder. =:^)

But that of course plays right into the related point, that /because/ kde
is so modularized, it's relatively easy to replace various individual
parts -- and actually, that is already being done with plasma, with
plasma-desktop being replaceable with plasma-netbook or whatever that
"newspaper mode" shell is called.

Talking about which...  I'm so far behind on my kde-planet and related
feeds it's pitiful, but is that netbook shell going to make it for 4.4?
I have a netbook on which I plan to put kde (Gentoo based) at some point,
so what I've read about that has sounded /real/ interesting!