Why KDE4 is called KDE?

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 10:14:30 GMT 2009

Maybe my krunner is broken. I just see  a bar with a wrench an icon
for system activity, a question mark and an X.  I was unable to browse
too a file, I typed in the path to my Firefox install and it ran
Firefox but gave me no opportunity to add Firefox to the menu, just
run it. I could have done that from a command line.

The wrench lists availible plugins but none are going to do much from
this UI. I don't want latest documents, I want to open Office WP and
see latest docs or Abiword and see the latest docs I worked on in
Abiword. Mixing them up just means I only see a fraction of the latest
docs I worked on and don't neceessarily open them in the app I wanted
to open them in.

It in no way bests a command line for running an app. I can up arrow
and get the last 100 commands complete with command line parms. I can
have a dozen console windows open each with a unique history meaning I
could potentially have thousands of commands a few keystrokes away.  I
can also search the command history.

I can see it would be nifty for some but is in no way a replacement
for what I do.  I want those apps ON the panel. I don't want to have
to hunt something down to run them. If I do why waste all the system
resources? I can do most everything Krunner does quicker and easier
from a console window. I can have multiple console windows open at the
same time, name my console windows thus organizing them by function
and I get application feedback to boot.

Another advantage of a console window is it's not a one time use only
thing. I can background  the app I run and proceed with running other
apps. Krunner turns into whatever it laaunches meaning I have to do it
all over again to launch another app.
That's just plain tedious.