Permission to mount denied by Policy. What Policy?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Aug 24 14:10:36 BST 2009

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:51:13 +0300 as excerpted:

> You're overreacting a bit and are perhaps even spreading panic.
>
> I want to point out two things for everyone:
>
>    1) You're still responsible for mounting (by clicking on the icon).
>       If you don't click it, it doesn't get mounted.
>
>    2) HAL will *not* run any software from the mounted device (be it a
>       DVD/CD or a hard drive.)  Even if things would get mounted without
>       your consent, no executables are run from that filesystem and thus
>       there's no "malware threat".

You're right about the issues, but I don't believe I'm overreacting.  I
/did/ qualify it, saying I was suspicious of it, but that said suspicion
was likely that of (what amounts to) "an old fogey", an older person set
in their ways -- at least from the perspective of a (stereotypically)
younger person.

Of course, I could have indicated the spirit of the comments a bit more
effectively by including one of the traditional signal phrases mentioning
a cane, or "Now get off my grass!", or some such, had I thought about
it.  =:^)  Unfortunately, I didn't, but that was the intended spirit of
the comments, in any case.

But either way, lest there be any confusion, I'm glad you did post the
clarification.  But still the fact remains, I /do/ view such "behind my
back" mounts with a bit of suspicion.  If I want it mounted, I'll ****
well mount it myself! =:^)  And yes, I /do/ realize that qualifies me as
a bit of an old fogey in the eyes of some, but it's my viewpoint,
regardless, old fogey tho I might then be.