Kdesktop_lock widget positioning (KDE 3.5)

Fri Nov 28 16:15:30 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 Nov 2008 9:32:10 pm Andrew Reid wrote:
>   This is a bit of an aesthetic question.
>
>   I run Debian "etch" with KDE 3.5, and have recently set up
> a dual-monitor set-up, with the desktop spread out over two
> monitors.  It's an NVidia rig, using TwinView, and it all
> works fine.
>
>   The issue is that, when I lock the screen, and then unlock
> it, the unlocking widget is positioned in the center of the
> dual-monitor desktop, right smack on the "seam" between the
> two monitors.
>
>   I'd like to move this widget to the center of one of the
> monitors.
>
>   I found a setting for the KDM greeter, there's a
> "GreeterPos" setting in the "X-*-Greeter" section of
> /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, which accepts percent-of-x-extent
> and percent-of-y-extent arguments.  This is wonderful.

What you describe is a good workaround for the time being but hardly a
solution. I do not have a multi-monitor setup to test but you should be filing
a bug for this. There was some buzz around "fixing" multi-monitor setups in
both plasma and kwin in kde4 but that's how much I know.

I would say that both KDM and the screen lock should perhaps appear on the
primary desktop. File a bug and let us know - I will vote for it! :)
--
Cheers!
Kishore