All applications starting maximized

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 16:22:14 GMT 2008

D. R. Evans said the following at 11/02/2008 07:56 AM :

> I have no idea what I could have done to cause this.

All right; I have fixed this: I went through kwinrulesrc and made all the
entries look essentially the same.

The cause was (I think) that I wanted firefox to always start maximized. So
I edited the window-specific settings so that it would always start
maximized. Since it's not at all obvious what a lot of the settings mean in
the window-specific dialogues, I must have inadvertently somehow edited one
of the settings that I intended to apply only to FF in such a way that it
applied to everything. I note that nowhere is there any kind of warning
that one can completely alter the behaviour of all windows while editing
(one thinks) settings that affect only a single application. Nor is there
any kind of warning when one changes a setting in a way that it affects
other applications.

Anyway, now FF won't start maximized any more, but at least neither do all
my other programs. I have no idea how to make FF start maximized (I tried
the obvious clicking "Maximize" in the settings available by right-clicking
the title bar, but that just maximized the current session and had no
effect on the start-up of subsequent sessions). There should be a "start
maximized" option somewhere. Maybe there is and I just can't find it.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR