Kerry Beagle

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 9 11:44:12 BST 2008

On Thursday 08 May 2008 22:35:34 David wrote:
> Having just got my machine dual booting again my disks have been rattling
>
> > around for hours and hours and I have to ask if Beagle's crawler ever
> > stops or if it crawls for ever?????????????????????. Seem to have stopped
> > it from crawling the web, me mail etc but the disk still rattles on.
>
> Beagle is a daemon, so it never stops unless you stop it manually.
>
> The problem is not beagle being a daemon, the problem is that it takes more
> and more memory (last time for me it was taking more than 500 MB), I
> suppose because of a bug.
>
> My advice: do not use beagle until the bug is corrected. Close it, close it
> also from the task bar and it should not start again, unless you have it in
> ~/.kde/Autostart

I found that it slowed my machine down too and have kicked it into touch.

I would still like to know if it actually builds an index and then adds to it
or just crawls looking for changes all of the time. If the latter I don't
think I will ever make any use of it.

> You have at least two more alternatives: tracker and recoll. I prefer the
> latter, but I have both running.
>
> > Out of interest it seems wubi is the only installer that can cope with xp
> > not
> > on disc 0.
>
> Well, I do not like Ubuntu but here I have to tell you "please be
> understanding". The natural way is to install a Linux distro inside another
> partition or inside a Virtual Machine. Wubi is a good idea for Windows
> users that are scared of doing something wrong when trying Linux for the
> first time. Wubi is a very young project, so please be understanding and
> submit the bugs you encounter. A different thing is that some bugs you
> encounter in Wubi are also inside the "usual" Ubuntu, which would not be so
> improbable

I don't like the look or feel of K ubuntu either.
> :-D
>
> By the way, installers can cope with XP not on disc 0. I mean all the
> classical installers, the boot CDs :-)

Well suse and kubunto installers can't. I had several problems. Got fed up and
didn't try any more. Wondered about debian but seems to need 4 dvd's.

Disks were fake raided which caused the installer to give grub something it
couldn't cope with. I unraided them and both still insisted it was a raid
disk. On suse I deleted the device mapper partitioning from the set up. Got
the black screen of death the 1st time I did it. 2nd time it accepted it but
still got the same grub failure. Then used NT to rewrite the boot sectors and
things got a bit better. I eventually managed to get  a suse install to look
like I wanted it to but does it boot - no. Will it dual boot no. It still
insisted that the xp partition was on disk 0 even though I swapped over the C
and D drive mappings. The suse boot screen show 2 windows installations!
Maybe one of them works I haven't tried them yet. I'm getting there with
bootmagic.
I must have done at least 10 installs in total and it still isn't correct so I
will have to manually install grub to tidy things up. Bootmagic wont boot xp
even though I've told it where it is. Same problem.

The really bad thing about this is that the grub install comes very late in
the process well after the point where all of the software is installed. A
bit late in the day if there are going to be problems.

All in all it leaves me thinking that the installers assume a windows user
trying linux with one disc in the machine - not raided. And that they don't
look at the drives in the right way or take sufficient notice of what the
user wants to do.

Out of interest a number of people on the web seem to think that ntldr is the
way forwards. It just needs a little prog a la wubi to send things the right
way. I've tried to use the same code but it seems to be hard wired.

John