B&W desktop horror

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:40:32 BST 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008 23:28, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I finally got 4.0.99 onto my F9 box and started to explore
> > systemsettings.  I made some change in the appearance section and very
> > briefly saw a patch that looked like 'accept this setting or revert?'
> > type message, just as the whole screen went black, with a white rectangle
> > where the dialogue box had been.
> >
> > Clearly the way out of this is to rename a config file in
> > ~/.kde/share/config/ so that it can rebuild, but which file?
>
> That sounds like kwin's composite mode (i.e. "desktop effects"), so the
> config you're looking for is either kdeglobals (probably not, but might
> be) or something kwin, and if you want to be surgical, the setting
> should be something about 'effects' or 'composite'.
>
> Alternatively: 'pkill kwin', launch another WM, go back to
> systemsettings, disable desktop effects (desktop->desktop effects),
> restart kwin.
>
> (Anyone that knows where kwin's composite option is stored in the config
> should speak up now ;-).)

Thanks, Matthew.  I only just now got time to sort this out, but it's fine
now.

The file to edit was kwinrc, where there is a clear [Compositing] section,
right at the beginning.  Setting that to Enabled=false got me back in.

I don't want fancy effects, but I wanted to use the shading to differentiate
between active and passive windows.  When I've some time to spare I'll have
another go at this, to see whether I can identify where the problem lies.

Thanks again

Anne