[Ark] Password protected RAR archives

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 18:42:09 GMT 2008

On Sunday 07 December 2008 18:13:45 Kishore wrote:
> On Sunday 07 Dec 2008 9:06:29 pm Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Trying to open a password-protected RAR file in Ark fails with "An error
> > occured while trying to open the archive."  Is there a way to open them
> > in Ark?  If not, is there another application like Ark that can to this?
> >   (KDE 3.5.10).
>
> I *think* support for that was added only recently and should be available
> in the 4.2 release.
>
> http://metelliuscode.wordpress.com/2008/07/12/ark-service-menu-password-pro
>tection-files-and-more/

I have this problem with my set up too. I assume you are trying to expand it
under KDE.

These files can be expanded by right clicking on the file - actions - open
terminal here. When you enter the terminal type
unrar /e ./filename <ret> you can copy and paste the file name if you like. eg
Type ls <ret> 1st to get a directory listing. Spaces in the file name cause
problems. Easiest thing is to rename it etc. Quotes etc don't help. More info
also from the terminal type man unrar <ret>

This will ask for the password and then expand the file. I understand that
there can be some rar version problems as the doze rar software is now sold
rather than being free. This may introduce copyright problems on some or all
distro's

John