Problems creating desktop launchers on KDE4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:18:57 BST 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 19:44:05 Nigel Henry wrote:
> I now have 2 distros that are using KDE4, Archlinux, and Fedora 9. Some
> problems I have resolved myself, but I'm having a problem creating desktop
> launchers for apps.
>
> For example on my FC2 install, I simply right click on the desktop, and get
> a menu, with amongst other things "create new", which expands to "folder",
> "file", and "device". "file" will enable me to create a link to
> application. Device will enable me to, for example create a desktop
> launcher to a harddrive device that is already setup in /etc/fstab.
>
> When I right click on the desktop with KDE4, I have virtually no options,
> and without doubt the "create new" option does not exist, either on
> Archlinux, or Fedora 9.
>
> Any suggestions as to the procedure on KDE4, that allows me to "create
> new", which is so easy on FC2, and pre KDE4 distros.

Hi, Nigel.  Are you still on 4.0.5, or have you got Rex's 4.0.98?  If the
former, you're stuck for a few more days, but if the latter you need
folderview.  To get this you first install a folderview widget.  The you use
the cashew to zoom out.  Touch the cashew again and you have more options,
one of which is to create a folderview.   The default will be of your home,
but in the properties you can make it point to anywhere you like.

A handle appears at the side when you hover over it.  If you hit the top icon
and drag you can change the size of the folderview.  Make it tiny, if you
like, as long as you can still see the controls.  HTH

Anne