Missing apps on KDE main menu (Gutsy Gibbon)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Apr 6 21:45:31 BST 2008

On Sunday 06 April 2008 20:00, kitts wrote:
> On Sunday 06 April 2008 23:07:51 Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Konquerorsu (superuser filemanager) is missing (along with a load of
> > other KDE apps) from KDE's main menu on Gutsy Gibbon (Kubuntu).
> >
> > If I go to /usr/share/applications/kde, I can drag konquerorsu to the
> > desktop, but it won't copy to the actual desktop. It does show up though
> > in the /home/user/desktop directory, and clicking on it, it brings up the
> > box asking for password, and upon entering the password opens up the
> > superuser version of konquerors filemanager.
> >
> > I've tried various incantations of creating a link to application for it,
> > but with no success.
>
> if you have the corresponding .desktop file inside
> /usr/share/applications/kde and yet it does not show up in the menu, edit
> the corresponding .desktop file and ensure that the line "NoDisplay=true"
> is not set or is set to "false".

Where exactly should I
 find the file that has the line "NoDisplay=true"?

> > Questions:
> >
> > 1: Is there a way to update KDE's main menu, so as to include all KDE
> > apps that are installed?
>
> Read above. The same applies to other .desktop files as well.
>
> > 2: Specifically. How do I get konquerorsu onto the actual desktop, so
> > that I can launch it from there?
>
> You can create a link to an application with the context menu. The command
> in your case should be "kdesu konqueror". You might want to extend that
> command to launch konqueror with the profile of your choice

Ok. Creating a link to application, with the command "kdesu konqueror" has
resolved the problem.

> > 3: This is my fault for not writing down the command, but the command
> > that ends up with sycoca IIRC fixed this problem in the past, but I can't
> > remember the complete command.
>
> Are you referring to "kbuildsycoca"?

Yes, and thanks for the complete command. This time I'll make sure to write it
down with pencil, and paper.

> > KDE version is: 4:3.5.8-0ubuntu2.2
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

I'm still a bit confused as to why KDE's main menu, and it's sub menu's arn't
showing all the installed KDE apps.

For example. I installed kdepim, but kmail isn't in the Internet subdirectory.
Perhaps this is just a Ubuntu/Kubuntu problem though, as on other distros I
have no such problems.

Thanks for the reply Kitts.

Nigel.