theme manager not working with downloaded themes

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 29 00:19:20 BST 2007

Hi KDE users,

I've been using KDE for a few years and have just
moved to a new machine.  I've installed the testing
distribution of Debian GNU/Linux from scratch.
I think the KDE version is 3.4.3 .   I didn't copy
~/.kde from my old machine.

The problem is that the Theme Manager of the Control
Center doesn't seem to work with themes downloaded
from http://www.kde-look.org/ .  I tested a few themes
labeled as "Theme/Style for KDE 3.2 +"
or "theme-manager theme": For example, the "Full Black"
theme (content number 66144).

Now,

  Control Center > Appearance & Themes > Theme Manager
  > Install New Theme. . .

and select the downloaded *.kth file.  Then the Theme
Manager lists the new theme's name.  Click on the name
and the Theme Manager says, "This theme does not
contain a preview".  Click on the Apply button.
Nothing happens.

Click on the Remove Theme button, and a dialog for
confirmation appears.  Click on its Remove button.
But, the theme is still there.

So, definitely something is wrong.  Does anybody have
a similar experience?

Thank you,
Ryo