Problems with KDE 3.5 (Kubuntu 6.10) with X terminals

Basil Fowler b.j.fowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Thu May 17 20:46:36 BST 2007

Hello all!

Can anyone help with a bizarre problem?

I have an old computer configured as an X terminal for logging into my main
computer over an ethernet link.  The terminal connects correctly to the main
computer, but it takes over thirty seconds for the kde login screen to
appear.  Once login is complete and the KDE starup sequence finished, the
whole display is very unresponsive to mouse or keyboard commands.

My previous distro - Mandriva 2006 - with the same hardware gave no problems?

What is wrong?

The local display works at full speed.

TIA

Basil Fowler