Konqueror: Web form text field is slow

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 10:30:56 BST 2007

I have had this happen too but still haven't got down to what causes it.

Last night my machine suddenly went extremely slow. There were 11 konq windows
open, 1 copy of acrobat and 2 copies of kate with klibido (15kbs download
100mbs lan) running on desktop 2. I started up K's memory monitor. Getting
menu up and the cursor to the right place was a challenge and after about
10mins in started to run and showed that nearly all 1gig of memory was used
and most of the 1gig swap space too. The machine had run with this loading
for at least 15mins without any problems. The mem monitor showed that linux
was continually swapping small chunks of code of about 9 Mbyte. I managed to
close some windows - each taking a long time to close but it didn't recover.
Not a kde problem but surely there must be a signal in the kernel to indicate
that this is going on. I have to wonder about the decision making process the
kernel uses in the swapping process too. From kde's point of view surely the
user mouse and keyboard input should have a very high priority. The overall
effect reminds me of typing ahead on overloaded mini's years ago.

I suspect that slow keyboard input is caused by disc activity so it may be
worth loading the memory monitor and taking a look. I've also seen the spell
checker take ages to highlight a miss spelled word under much lower loading.
That's ok but lack of keyboard and mouse response is infuriating.

My system discs are raided 10k sata raptors (Intel on board) by the way so
data rates are high. Suse10 has been running on them for ages but the
partitioner reckons that they are an error. I'm wondering what will happen if
I resize the partitions.

Regards
John