Bad looking fonts on Fedora 7 and latest KDE Branch 3.5

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 3 16:21:28 BST 2007

> Hello Phillip
> Here are two screenshots of Konqueror with Comic Sans as the test font:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-Konqueror-ComicSans-01.jpg
> http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-Konqueror-ComicSans-02.jpg

OK, so the difference is that in 3.5 branch, the fonts aren't being
antialiased (if you use a magnifying program like xmag or kmag to compare
the edges of the letters in the two examples, you can see more clearly
what's happening). Check that antialiasing is enabled in control center ->
appearance & themes -> fonts -> use antialiasing.

There's one other thing I can think of, which is that the way the KDE
antialiasing setting works has changed during the 3.5 series. If you're
using the same $KDEHOME (eg ~/.kde) for your distro and compiled versions
of KDE, their antialiasing settings might be conflicting. I'd strongly
recommend using separate config dirs for the two versions.

Regards,
Philip