Bad looking fonts on Fedora 7 and latest KDE Branch 3.5

Steven P. Ulrick lists-kde at afolkey2.net
Sat Jun 2 11:57:34 BST 2007

Hello, Everyone
To avoid the duplication of information, I will launch right into a
numbered list of steps describing this problem.

1. Completely fresh install of Fedora 7 (not an upgrade.  Re-formatted
the harddrive)

2. Fresh downloads of all the modules that I compile and install from
KDE Branch 3.5.

3. Proceeded to build KDE using the following instructions:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Stable_Version
(I have been building KDE from source for years.  But for the sake of
this issue I referred back to the above referred instructions.)

4. Successfully compiled and installed arts, kdelibs and kdebase.  (I
did compile kdebase without the "input" subdirectory from kcontrol.  I
accomplished this by editing the following file:
kdebase/kcontrol/Makefile.am
and removing "input"  from the "SUBDIRS = " section.  That is the only
way that I could get kdebase to compile.  If this is the problem, then
I will re-compile WITH "input" and send you the appropriate logs (if
that issue is not fixed by then...)

5. Logged into a completely new user account that contains the
hopefully appropriate paths in it's .bash_profile:
export YACC='byacc -d'
QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-src
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
#export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde-svn-f7
PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
#export KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH
export KDEDIR LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH

6. The result is as follows:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-001.jpg

You will notice that I have Konsole and Gnome-terminal open side by
side and I ran "ls" in my home directory just to get something to
display.  You will further notice that the fonts in Konsole are very
rough looking and sometimes blend together.  In addition, the fonts in
Gnome-terminal are nice and smooth looking (just like all my fonts were
in all non-gtk1 applications before I upgraded to Fedora 7)
Also, if I log into a completely fresh user account using the KDE that
ships with Fedora 7, the fonts look perfect.

As you may have guessed, the reason I'm bringing this to you instead of
the Fedora list is because fonts display as desired in Fedora 7's KDE.
The only font issue that I have is with KDE from Branch 3.5.
Of course, this might just point out an issue with Fedora 7 that I need
to take up with them.  If so, let me know and I will gladly take it up
with Fedora.

Oh yeah, in kcontrol the appropriate box relating to anti-aliasing
fonts is checked.

Almost forgot: I don't THINK that this is related to the Freetype
patent issues.  If it were, I would think that anti-aliasing wouldn't
work at all on my system.  As it stands, the ONLY place it doesn't work
is in Branch 3.5 KDE.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Steven P. Ulrick
--
 05:28:04 up 11:21,  2 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.77, 0.72