syncing kmail on multiple machines

Jeff Grant kubin3 at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 19:41:56 BST 2007

On Monday 27 August 2007 16:38:17 Sebastian Kemper wrote:
> On Monday 27 August 2007 at 14:10:07 Jonathan Horne wrote:
> > are there any supported methods for actively using 2 systems, but to keep
> > all their messages in sync?
>
> I think the best thing to do is simply use IMAP if available. No need to
> sync anything.
>
> Another way would be to put your mailbox on a usb stick.

And if you do the latter - which is an excellent way of doing it - make sure
you zip the .kmail folder before you copy it to the USB stick. I had endless
troubles trying to sync up two computers by transferring the kmail folder -
files that didn't copy, messages that had headers but no body. The answer
came from the PCLOS forum - USB sticks being formatted FAT32 can't accept
folders containing a colon. Now, whether that last is the total reason or not
I don't know. But what I do know is that if you simply copy the .kmail folder
as it is via a USB stick you'll have problems and if you zip it first, then
unzip it on computer number two - you won't!

--
jeff grant

london UK
les rorgues france