No root in Kubuntu was Re: new to Kubuntu

Shawn Willden shawn-kde at willden.org
Tue Oct 31 16:31:03 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 06:32, Justin Denick wrote:
> No root account!
> What good would that do. Ridiculous.
> I can see not giving somebody root access, but not having root access to
> give would be like cutting off your thumbs. Go Debian :-(

1.  There is a root account, it just doesn't have a password.
2.  The first user account created has full root privileges via sudo.  Other
accounts can be granted such privileges.
3.  Although I understand how Ubuntu's disabled-root approach works and the
rationale behind it, I also prefer Debian's more traditional approach of
setting up a root password during installation.

	Shawn