How to set up my kbd to be able to use French accents when replying to email in Kmail

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Jun 20 17:35:30 BST 2006

On Monday 19 June 2006 03:13, Rex Teague wrote:
> The "Character Selector" panel applet is serving my limited need for
> non-keyboard characters very well.
>
> To install right click on the Panel>Add to Panel>Applet>Character
> Selector. Once installed, it is configured with the characters of
> your choice, which can be selected via "KCharSelect" via the "K
> Menu".
>
> At least that is my experience with Simply Mepis 3.4-3 but I note
> Kubuntu 5.10 doesn't have the option in its standard installation.
>
> Cheers... Rex

Hi Rex. The problem for me with the panel applet, is that my eyes are not very
good and the characters are very small.

I tried it on FC2, and FC5. The applet was added to the panel ok, with a
default set of German umlauted vowels, but I couldn't find out how to change
them using KCharSelect. The only options in the edit menu are to do with the
clipboard. Of course it don't really help that  there's no manual for it.

Can you throw any light on how to change the default selection on the panel
applet? The applet works, and I can click on characters and place them on
Gedit for instance.

All the best. Nigel.