KDE and Homedirs on network share.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 12 19:22:38 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 16:36, Jiří Červenka wrote:
> Hello,
> I use pam_winbind for authetification a pam_mount for mounting homedirs
> stored on w2k3 file server.
> Homedir /home/user1 is mounted from \\server\users\user1
> Everything seems to work fine until I try to start KDE.
> When I run startx I receive this error:
>
> Could not read network conection list
> /home/username/.DCOPserver_u116-0xl__0
> please check if dcopserver is running
>
> Dcopserver is running

[snip]

> Can someone give me a hint where could be the problem a what should I do
> to allow my network users to run KDE ?
> I think that all problems mentioned above arise because cifs do not
> support symlinks.
> Is it posible to make KDE not to create symlinks in homedirs?

The problem is that without symlinks the sockets created in .kde/sockets-*
will be "on" the mounted filesystem which is even more unlikely to be
supported by CIFS.

Maybe there is an option for SAMBA to simulate symlinks when mounting the
share.

Another option would be to have the Linux home directory or at least the .kde
subdirectory in an image which is formatted with a real file system and which
is mounted through a loop device
This image would then be part of the user's CIFS mounted home directory.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring