Login root problem

Bogus Zaba bogzab at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 17:47:15 BST 2005

Igor Korot wrote:

>Hi, ALL,
>I recently updated my Linux box to KDE 3.4, and I ran into some weird problem.
>I can no longer login as a "root" user. It says "Root login is not permitted." and it throws me back at the login screen. But the problem is I would like to see the ODBCConfig program, and AFAIK the root is the only account that can do that.
>Is this some new feature on the KDE side, or is it sopmething wrong with my Linux?
>
>Thank you for the reply. Please include my E-mail address as I did not signup for the mailing list.
>
>Thank you.

I had this too after upgrading a machine from KDE 3.1 to 3.4 (If I
remember correctly). I solved it as follows:
Login as aregular user and then run a root shell. I am assuming you know
how to use a CLI editor like vi or emacs. Navigate to
/opt/kde3/config/kdm and edit the file kdmrc. There is a line where you
set AllowRootLogin=true|false. Set it to true and you should be OK.
I imagine that you can do it with Kate or some other GUI editor too but
you will have to be running the job as root.

Bogus