help! how can I get my new windows to appear in front

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Tue May 31 17:05:22 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 31. Mai 2005 16:35 schrieb Oward Smyahoo:
> I'm a new KDE user, running on a Sun Linux box. When
> I try to open a new window or application, for example
> to compose a message in Mozzilla mail or to open
> OpenOffice or other apps, the new window opens BEHIND
> the current
> windows, and often I can't find it without minimizing
> everything.

I think this is the so-called "focus stealing prevention".
The idea is that it's there for your privacy and convenience.
It's no good if you're typing some private information like a
password and some instant messenger pops up a window and catches
your input, transmitting it by accident to an irc channel ;-) .

If you don't like the out-of-the-box behavior you can adapt the focus
stealing prevention level to your liking in the KDE control center:

Desktop -> Window Behavior -> Advanced -> Focus Stealing Prevention Level

Christian.