Kppp and radio modem question

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jul 2 08:10:16 BST 2005

Phil wrote:

> I tried creating a link (ln -s  /dev/ttyACM0 modem2) but that didn't appear in
> the device list either. ln -s  /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/usb/ttyACM0 appeared to
> work; the terminal window indicated that the modem was ready but the modem
> would not respond. Is this a link problem or something else?

I can't think of any reason that the second link shouldn't work.  A
device is just a pseudo-file that provides some numbers to the Kernel
driver.  Just like any other file, the location in the file system
doesn't matter.

So, it must be something else that is causing the problem, and I know
nothing about the specific modem.

--
JRT