replacing RPM versions of some progs?

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Sun Jan 23 02:36:09 GMT 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 00:20, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have KDE 3.2.2 installed from RPM. I'd like to compile newer versions of
> some programs (kopete, sim) which are already installed from those RPMs. As
> they are not in separate RPMs, they can not be removed the RPM way.
>
> So how do I get those older versions out of the way?

Compile and install to e.g. /usr/local, then fix your path (and perhaps
KDE-dir) to search /usr/local/kde/3.x/bin before /usr/kde/3.2/bin.

You may have to set KDEDIRS in the same way, but I don't think so.

Be careful not to disturb /usr/not_local

Those are for your distributions package management system only.

--
regards. Esben