Copying a DVD

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Sat Feb 12 07:52:40 GMT 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 04:51, LeVA wrote:
> 2005. február 11. 08:31,
> Bob Stia <rnr at sanctum.com>
>
> -> kde at mail.kde.org,:
> > Hello KDE people,
>
> [...]
>
> > I want to copy a game DVD as a backup.  I have one DVD
> > player/recorder. I know I have to copy it to disc first as an iso
> > image.
>
> [...]
>
> Hi Bob!
>
> With k3b, it is fairly simple to create an iso image from a dvd disc.
> With the latest (0.11.20) k3b it is like that:
>
> - Tools / DVD / Copy DVD ...
> - In the "Options" group box, check the "Only Create Image"
> - Enter the path name where you want to save your image file.
>
> or, you can use the good old dd util:
>
> $ dd bs=2048 if=/dev/dvd of=/path/of/the/image/file
>
> Now that you have the iso file you wanted, simply burn out with k3b,
> or with whatever you like.
>
> But be aware! Recent game dvds and cds have several protections. This
> means that you can not play with your backup discs. You must the
> original disc inserted, or else the game will refuse to start.
>
> HTH,
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for replying. I had tried that during my many attempts at making
an .iso in K3b.   Unfortunately each I time I try it I get a  "not
enough space in tmp directory" message, and this is in a partition that
has 7.3 gigs of free space.  (sigh ! ) I'm glad it works for you.  I
just cannot get k3b to work properly for me.

As far as the cli goes, I am not sure of the exact dd command to make
an .iso.  Guess I will have to do some more man and how-to reading.
Aggravating though, that when you have a tool that is supposed to do
what you want, you must revert to the basics.

Thanks anyway, and if you have any more suggestions they would certainly
be welcomed,

Bob S.

PS I am running the 11.20 version.