Character sets in Konsole

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Thu Feb 10 21:28:31 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2005 09:40 schrieb Hans-Michael Stahl:
> Philip Rodrigues wrote the following on 09.02.2005 23:21:
>
> > Try the following commands in konsole:
> > echo $'\033%G'
> > export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
> >
> > Any improvement?
>
> I am very sorry to say "No"  - it does not change anything. See attached
> the differences between xterm and konsole, both started from the same
> environment.

It seems to me that the application produces iso-8859-1 characters
that get (wrongly) reinterpreted as UTF-8 (see how the character
following each umlaut is gobbled).   And the app does not seem to honour
the LANG variable since the above did not help.

You could try the following (as a test):
- Start a konsole
- Type: export LANG="de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
- Start a second konsole from that environment
- In that second one, start your app and see what you get

Cheers,
Christian.

--

Der Kampf gegen die Dummheit hat gerade erst begonnen.
    -- Die Zeit