How to correctly shutdown kde-3.5 from console?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 19 15:41:44 GMT 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 12:20, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > Ps. There is this one annoying thing about using dcop. The parameters
> > that are passed to the function are not well documented. It is often
> > unclear which function to use and what should be the value of the
> > parameters!
> >
> > I wish utilities like kdcop would show this information as well when
> > showing the available commands.
>
> Agreed. I've put a little thought into how this could be done for KDE 4.
> With the possibility of KDE 4 using DBUS, this could be done: see the DBUS
> specification:
> http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#introspection-forma
>t .

While the D-BUS introspection is the key, the real value comes from the
availability of useful descriptions and common lookup keys.

For example:

consider the following method description in the above mentioned specification

<method name="Move">
    <arg name="pos" type="(ii)" direction="in"/>
</method>

Already useful for the programs involved.

<method name="Move">
    <arg name="pos" type="(ii)" direction="in"/>
    <annotation name="no.trolltech.Qt3.Class" value="QPoint" />
</method>

This is already more useful for the Qt programmers, but to be usable for
non-developers something like this might be better

<method name="Move">
    <arg name="pos" type="(ii)" direction="in"/>
    <annotation name="no.trolltech.Qt3.Class" value="QPoint" />
    <annotation name="org.openusability.WindowProperty" value="Screen
coordinates" />
</method>

My idea is that well known name or name/value pairs are to be used  for lookup
in a kind of encyclopedia which in the example would show an introduction
into window coordinate systems, etc

But in order for developers or tools to include this information, it has to be
available. i.e. some user/documentation group could create a list of things
they want to have "translated" from developer language to user language.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>