Getting KDE to refresh menus

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Dec 14 12:50:00 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 09:03, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> I'm working on getting some nice desktop integration of our product, and
> as part of that I'm trying to get the application to show up on the
> menu. If I do this by the book, putting icons in
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/*/apps, touching the top-dir and place a
> .desktop file in /usr/share/applications then it works immediatly in
> GNOME. KDE isn't so automatic and I can't find a reliable way to do it.

Sounds like there is something wrong with the file change notification setup.
KDE should watch the directories it is getting the configuration data from and
re-read files that changed.

> kbuildsycoca refreshes the menu and gets KDE to pick up any changes. But
> most users will do a su in a console when installing the package, so it
> will refresh root's menu, not the current user (or any other users
> currently logged on).

You could try to tell Kicker (the panel) to re-configure by DCOP
dcop --user username kicker kicker configure

in case of a script run by root

dcop --all-users kicker kicker configure

Cheers,
Kevin
--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>