The Need for Speed!

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 19 18:40:02 BST 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:01 pm, Bogus Zaba wrote:
> The one with a recent Suse 9.2 installation on clean reformatted disks
> is horribly slow at launching apps - so much so that my family tend to
> boot it up in Windows98. The other one, which has had various Suse/KDE
> versions upgraded over the last few years runs launches apps much faster.

I have 6 current linux distros on this Athlon 2600 /256M machine. The speeds
vary between instant for konq and less than 1/2 sec for all other kde apps
except koffice apps at 1 to 1.5 sec and open-office at 2 to 3 seconds on my
main system all the way to 20sec for Openoffice and 2 - 5 secs for kde apps
on other distros.

Suse 9.2 has actually made some good speed improvements but suffers from
setting up to the lowest common denominator. You need to go into Yast and set
your harddisks and CD properly because by default they are running in the
equivalent of windows safe-mode. Usually on a modern system your HD will be
UDMA-100 and the CDs at least DMA-33. If your HD is not set or at dma-33 then
dma-100 will make a huge difference.
I need to check on setting these manually because we really need to be able to
set it to udma-133 at least which I'm sure hdparm can handle.
Also with Suse 9.2 use the quickstarter with openoffice since it doesnt have
any other readahead and you will find open-office starting in about 2 to 3
seconds.

--
regards,
andrew