Importing .kab files into Kontact - more info

Phil phil at spiderweb.com.au
Sat Apr 2 04:49:28 BST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:25 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday 28 March 2005 14:20, Phil wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've recently upgraded to KDE 3.2.3 and I want to import my old
> > addressbook.kab into Kontact. "Import" under "file" doesn't appear to do
> > anything. Sounds simple enough but I can't see how it's done.
>
> You can do it from kaddressbook's menu
> (Kontact is also using the same addressbook resource internally)

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

Your reply confirms what I already thought and that is that importing the old
address book should be obvious, but I'm still no wiser. Perhaps the problem
itself  is not so obvious.

Before I sold my desktop computer I make a backup of all of the directories
that I thought I'd need. All of the file names in my home directory have been
mangled to a Microsoft format; ie capital letters have been changed to lower
case, file names have been shortened to 8 characters and file extensions have
been shortened to 3 characters. No problems with /usr/local or any other
directories. I have recovered many of my files but the old address book is
not one of those.

I've called the addressbook addressbook.kab and the configuration file
kab.config (I've also tried kab.configuration) and put these files into
~/.kde/share/apps/kab. I've also put copies into /kabc. My old addressbook
does not show up in the new contact list.

All of a sudden, while trying different addressbook types, my imported
addressbook now shows up in Kontact. I don't really know where the problem
was but I suspect it had a lot to do with the mangled file names.

--
Regards,
Phil.