kde 3.3.0 without arts?

Nick THOMPSON nickthompson at agere.com
Tue Sep 21 17:28:07 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 22:41, daniel wrote:
> so i read on a gentoo forum that you could build all of kde without arts and
> sure enough, it worked!  no more arts, no more pesky audio delay in my flash
> movies but...
>
> well i rather liked juk, and it seems to not have been built as a result of
> the --without-arts thing.  what's more, i don't have any system notifications
> (though i've heard you can do this with another program like ogg123... i've
> not experimented yet).
>
> what i would like to know though, is whether or not there's a way to get juk
> without arts.  is that possible or are the two permanently linked?

Can't answer that, but the new kid on the block is amaroK, which will
work with at least GStreamer (as well as aRts). Its a good package and I
would recommend you have a look at it (amarok.kde.org). I think it does
everything that juk does and can be built after the rest of your KDE
installation.

Nick.