mime types.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Oct 24 22:15:21 BST 2004

David Harel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to change the mime type definitions on the system level on a KDE 3.3.0
>  on a Gentoo machine. Which of the system level files holds the definition of
>  the application to be executed for a given mime type

The 'desktop' file for an application has a list of MIME types that it is
associated with.

For the new (XDG) menu system these would be in "$KDEDIR/share/applications" or
a subdirectory of that directory -- the KDE applications are in the
subdirectory: "kde".  For the old menu system, these are in a subdirectory of:
"$KDEDIR/share/applnk".

> and how do you change the order of the applications?

You can specify: "InitialPreference=" in an application 'desktop' file.
However, this is overridden by the user's: "$HOME/.kde/share/config/profilerc"
file.  AFAIK, there is no global 'profilerc' file.

--
JRT