Change icons/types of devices?

Manuel Nickschas manueln at cs.umass.edu
Sat Oct 16 00:14:04 BST 2004

Hi,

I am looking for a way to change the type or at least the icon of the devices
listed at devices:/ (so I don't mean a desktop link). The reason is that I
have a variety of removable devices, for example an usb stick and an external
hard drive, but all the devices show up as "Hard Disc Partition". This is
especially annoying when using the Devices Panel Applet, because I have five
or six identically looking icons there...

So I'd like to know if it is possible at all to change the icon for a given
device, or at least to change the type (such that the USB stick really shows
up as a removable device instead of a hard disk). If it is not possible
globally, the ability to do that in the panel applet would help a lot, too.

I tried opening the URL 'devices:/' in konqueror and change the properties
there, but there is no option for the type or icon. I could not find any
control center module, either.

Thanks,
-- Manuel