bitmap font support broken in qt 3.3

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun May 9 06:20:17 BST 2004

Dexter Filmore wrote:
> I recently upgraded to kde-3.2.2. since it needs qt-3.3 (at least here on
> Slackware) I upgraded that, too.
> After that I noticed qt doesn't support bitmap fonts anymore.
> This is seriously bad since TTF fonts in konsole suck royally, to give one
> example (I like helvetica for taskbar, menu and the like, too).
>
> Back to 3.2.1. I'm annoyed as hell.

You must have some configure issue for the Konsole fonts since it works for me.

Is it all sizes of the Konsole fonts that don't work, or just: "Large"?

Or are you using the: "Linux" console font.

KDE installs three bitmapped fonts:

9x15.pcf.gz
console8x16.pcf.gz
console8x8.pcf.gz

FontConfig needs to be able to find these fonts for them to work in
Konsole.  So, to debug this you need to determine where these fonts were
installed which should be "$KDEDIR/share/fonts/".  Then as root, open a
Konsole and execute:

	fc-cache -vf

and make sure that that directory is listed and that the fonts are cached.
  E.G.:

fc-cache: "/usr/share/fonts": caching, 3 fonts, 5 dirs

if $KDEDIR is "/usr".

There are font NAME bugs in Qt so I would guess that that rather than the
fonts being bitmapped is the problem.

If you like Helvetica, I suggest that you install Type1 Helvetica:

You can install the Type1 fonts that come with AAR 3.x.

Download the M$-Windows version:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/3.x/ar302.exe

You should be able to unpack this with WINE.

You want these files:

COBO____.PFB  HVBO____.PFB  TII_____.PFB  SY______.PFB
COB_____.PFB  HVB_____.PFB  TIR_____.PFB  ZD______.PFB
COM_____.PFB  HVO_____.PFB  TIBI____.PFB
COO_____.PFB  HV______.PFB  TIB_____.PFB

You need to change the names to all lower case.

Use KReName.

The file: "ar302.exe" is not a M$ archive file and: "unzip"
won't unpack it.

But, if you can't get it unpacked/installed with WINE, you can
probably download the same fonts from various sites.

Look for them with Google.  Search for the file names for Helvetica or Times.

Be sure to get the correct language encoding.

After changing the names to lower case, copy the files to the directory:

	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/

Then you need the AFM files.

Get these from Adobe:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/afmfiles/900-960/950/

Get the ones that correspond to the PFB files.

After changing the names to lower case, copy the files to the directory:

	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/

and install the fonts if you want them available for old style X
applications.  FontConfig should automatically cache them.

--
JRT