KDE3.2 install

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Mar 2 01:48:16 GMT 2004

Job 317 wrote:
> I have installed KDE3.2 on a RedHat 9 box using konstruct and am quite
> pleased so far. So now that I am willing to commit, how do I install the
> package over the old KDE3.1? Right now, konstruct has installed
> everything in ~/kde3.2. How do I build it and simultaneously install it
> over the old KDE?

I recommend that you install it in: /user/kde3, use: "--prefix=/usr/kde3"
somewhere.  Sorry, never used Konstruct.

Then change your: KDEDIR to: "/usr/kde3", add: "/usr/kde3/bin" to your PATH
and add [as root]: "/usr/kde3/lib" to your "/etc/ld.so.conf" file and run:
"ldconfig".  Then remove KDE-3.1 with RPM and reboot.

To set your PATH and KDEDIR, you should use a script in: "/etc/profile.d/":

kde.sh
------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<
# KDE initialization script (sh)

KDEDIR="/usr/kde3"
KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde
PATH="$PATH:$KDEDIR/bin"

export  KDEDIR PATH KDEHOME

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<

You should also have one for Qt:

qt.sh
------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<
# Qt initialization script (sh)

QTDIR="/usr/local/qt-3.3.0"
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
PATH="$PATH:$QTDIR/bin"

export QTDIR MANPATH PATH
------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<

{Your paths may vary -- be sure to change them as needed!!}

You might have to reinstall: "kdelibs" & "kdebase" after removing the RPMs
for the other version.

To find which RPMs you need to remove, run:

	rpm -qa |grep kde

This will find most of them.  There is also Quanta if you have it installed.

If KDM doesn't work, then [as root] go to:

	<where>/kdebase/kdm/kfrontend/

and execute:

	./genkdmconf

If that doesn't work, then try:

	./genkdmconf --no-old

Be careful and do NOT use the "--no-old" option except as a last resort
since it will wipe out your existing KDM configuration.

Also, have a backup plan in case things don't work.  Know how to start
XFree86 without any window manager from the console and have Xedit
installed.  This will allow you to edit files without using KDE.

--
JRT