KDE 3.2.3 upgrade question

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 10 19:16:29 BST 2004

The Absolute best way to upgrade SuSE 9.1's KDE is to find a ftp mirror and
add the yast_source directory as an install source.  Then in YaST

For example I have a "Supplementary KDE 3.2 update" with a location of
"ftp:/mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.1/yast-source

Then go to "System Update" and follow the prompts.  It only downloads and
upgrades the KDE packages you already have and it doesn't mess with your SuSE
specific configs.

Just got through doing this on my laptop, took a while, but I didn't have to
fight dependencies.

On Thursday 10 June 2004 11:09 am, David Vestal wrote:
> On Thursday 10 June 2004 09:58 am, Michael Fakaro wrote:
> > "error: failed dependencies:
> >         kdebase3-SuSE <= 9.0 conflicts with kdebase3-3.2.3-5"
>
> If the new kdebase package if from SUSE then you will need to upgrade that
> package as well. If the new package is from KDE then you will need to
> remove the kdebase3-SuSE package inorder to be able to install the packages
> from KDE. You will lose some things like the "extra" configs, art and stuff
> from SUSE, but nothing that is that damaging.
>
> If you have customized KDE then you shouldn't lose too much or anything at
> all. However, if you have left the desktop alone from what SUSE gave you
> there will be many changes. But again, nothing damaging.

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, contains
information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is intended
only for the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that
you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please purge it immediately and notify the sender.