kppp and modem with usb<->serial adapter

Dani Belz kde at dan-b.net
Fri Jul 23 08:36:02 BST 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 03:01, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Dani Belz wrote:

> I must admit that I don't have any of those USB things and consider myself
> lucky. :-)
>
> Do you hear the 'Ping" from the modem's speaker?

I can hear every noise, yes :)

> What happens in you click the: "Query Modem" button on the: "Modem" tab in
> the KPPP configure dialog.  Does this work OK?

yep, seems to work OK. The modem lights are blinking and I get some values
back.

> But, I suspect that both of these questions will have answerers that it
> seems OK.  So, I guess that this is a USB issue.
>
> I suppose that you have one of those computers that doesn't have a real
> serial port (RS-232). :-)

Right. Got a IBM Thinkpad R40 here. This thing's got everything you need --
but no RS-232...

> I suspect that there may be some problem because the USB connection
> probably doesn't have DTR.  So, you might try changing the: "Flow control"
> setting.  Try "Software".

What is DTR?

And why does my debian dialing tool work? This makes a
/usr/sbin/pppd call $PROVIDER
where $PROVIDER is a file in /etc/ppp/peers and looks like that:
-----<snip>-----
hide-password
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/1und1"
debug
/dev/modem
230400
defaultroute
noipdefault
user "1und1/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX at online.de"
remotename 1und1
ipparam 1und1

But I will try it with "Flow control" set to "Software". Thanks!

	~ Dani