3.2.2 Konq Sidebar iconbar: how to remove text labels?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 15 05:21:44 BST 2004

orf at planet.nl wrote:
> hi
>
> i have some problems with the (newish) text labels on the sidebar iconbar:
>
> -i cannot turn it off. For me its just clutter.
>
> -the font is rendered in some bizarre manner with a shadow.
>
> -icons should never move when you click on them.
>
> so what am i missing? :-)

This appears to happen about here in "sidebar_widget.cpp:

		QString icon = confFile->readEntry("Icon");
		if (!icon.isEmpty())
		{
			menu->insertItem(SmallIcon(icon),
					 confFile->readEntry("Name"), i);
		} else {
			menu->insertItem(confFile->readEntry("Name"), i);
		}

I see no conditional based on something in:

	$HOME/.kde/share/config/konqsidebartng.rc

So, it appears that it isn't configurable.

And, yes I think that it is a NON-feature.  It should be possible to turn it off.

This has NOT changed in KDE-3.3.0BETA1 so I would add a WishList item:

	http://bugs.kde.org/

And/Or, you can post a small rant on <kde-usability at kde.org>.

Sorry that I couldn't tell you how to fix it without changing the code.

--
JRT