how to make KDE faster?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Thu Feb 19 20:47:58 GMT 2004

On February 19, 2004 03:57 pm, Dik Takken wrote:

> KDE 3.2 runs even more snappy than Win2k on my 800MHz computer with 128MB
> RAM. It must be the way those FC1 binaries have been compiled. I compiled
> my KDE manually, optimized for maximum speed.

Interesting. Does anyone else experience this?

On my system, with Win2kPro and 128 meg of RAM, Win2k was *very* slow, but it
was because of nearly constant swapping if I opened any more than 1 program
at a time. Once I increased my RAM to 384 meg, Win2k has been *very* fast.

But I was imagining that if a pig like Win2kPro could run quickly in 384 meg
of RAM, then certainly FC1 / KDE could... Maybe I need to compile myself,
like you suggested.

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com