Remote login - xdm

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Sun Dec 26 18:28:59 GMT 2004

Does anyone know how to configure / use remote login (xdm). I already have
Desktop Sharing working, but it isn't quite what I want. There is way too
much network traffic, and I have some reliability problems. I use remote
login routinely at work, and it works well, so I'd like to try it at home. I
checked the docs and have made some progress, but I can't seem to get it to
work. Here is what I have configured / tried so far. Any help appreciated.

Also, are there any other better tools for this task?

Larry Howe

On the client: ====================================

Configuration: ========

in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, I added a single line for LoginMode.

[X-:*-Greeter]
AdminSession=YaSTadminSession
LoginMode=DefaultLocal

Usage: ============

After changing kdmrc, on the X login screen, I now can go Menu / Remote Login.
That brings up a new screen, titled XDMCP Host Menu. I typed the server name
in Host and clicked Add. Now the server appears in the list, showing the host
name, how many users are currently logged in, and the system load (=> it's
communicating with the server).

If I select the host and click Accept, the screen flashes a few times, the
stopwatch shows for several seconds, then the _local_ X login screen comes
back again.

Logs: =============

kdm.log:

Fatal server error:
XDMCP fatal error: Session declined No valid address

/var/log/messages:

Dec 26 10:52:39 pickle kdm: :0[5302]: pam_unix2: session started for user
lhowe, service xdm

On the server: ===================================

Configuration: =========

Yast / Security and Users / Security Settings / Next / Next / Next / Allow
Remote Graphical Login (the help for this option says "Checking this allows
access to a graphical login screen for this machine over the network. Remote
access to your machine via xdm might be a security risk."

I'm not sure whether anything is going in the logs or not. Sometimes I see
nothing in the logs. Other times I get, in kdm.log:

SetClientVersion: 0 8
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
AUDIT: Sat Dec 25 15:08:27 2004: 4783 X: client 27 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
SetGrabKeysState - enabled