three finger salute

David P James dpjames at rogers.com
Wed Apr 28 01:08:13 BST 2004

On Tue 27 April 2004 19:44, Rob Clack wrote:

> A friend installed debian linux 3.0 for me and assured me that
> Control/Alt/F1 would flick me back to a console monitor so I could
> log on as root and shut the machine down.  Only it doesn't happen.

Well, the console at Ctrl+Alt+F1 is actually in use when your graphical
desktop gets running (which is accessed at Ctrl+Alt+F7). Try
Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to another console from which you can shut down.

> Let me clue you in to how dim I am:  There's a footprint icon on the
> panel;  I don't know what that means, in terms of what software I'm
> running, but I'm pretty sure it should tell me something.

You're running GNOME - http://www.gnome.org/

You should be able to log out from the aforementioned Foot menu
(probably under Actions or somesuch - I can't recall since I use KDE)

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario
ICQ: #42891899, Jabber: davidpjames at jabber.org

If you've lost something, you had to lose it, not loose it.